Ricotta Stuffed Baked Eggplant
- 1 Large eggplant
- Salt, to sprinkle on the eggplant to draw out moisture
- 2 Tubs ricotta
- Juice of 1 lemon, 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bunch of mint, stem removed and leaves finely chopped
- Cracked pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 Bottle of passata
- 2 Small handfuls of grated mozzarella
- Green salad to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150 ⁰C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Lay paper towel onto a clean bench or tray. Remove the stem from the eggplant, then stand the eggplant upright on a chopping board on the cut flat end.
- Slice, starting at the top. Set aside for 15-20 minutes while you make the filling.
- Empty both tubs of ricotta into a bowl and add the lemon juice, garlic, and mint. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the ingredients thoroughly and place the mixture into the fridge.
- Pat down the eggplant using paper towel to remove any liquid.
- Lay each slice of eggplant onto the lined baking tray and place into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn over the slices and bake for a further 5 minutes before removing from the oven to cool (this will soften the eggplant enough to be able to roll it).
- Increase oven temperature to 180 ⁰ C and grease a baking dish with 1 tsp olive oil. When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, place 1 tbsp of the ricotta mixture onto a slice of eggplant and roll it up to form a tube-shaped roll.
- Place into the baking dish and repeat the process for all remaining slices.
- Cover the eggplant evenly with passata, sprinkle with the grated mozzarella, and place into the oven for 45 mins or until cooked through and golden brown.
- Add 2 handfuls of fresh green salad to serve.