Cauliflower as a Substitute for Rice or Potato
Here is a simple little recipe to prepare cauliflower as an excellent substitute for rice or potato as part of a weight loss eating program.White rice has become such a staple in our diet, but provides very little nutritional value. Cauliflower is packed with nutrients, tastes great and the variations for its use are endless.Cauliflower is low in saturated fat, and very low in cholesterol. It is also a source of thiamine, riboflavin, phosphorus and potassium, and a very good source of dietary fibre, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B5 & B6, folate, manganese and some protein.
- 2 cups cauliflower grated.
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Celtic sea salt
- Grate the cauliflower using the medium sized holes of a greater. Include the core in your grating. Squeeze out as much water as you can from the cauliflower. Some cauliflowers yield more water than others.
- Heat a skillet on high and add oil.
- Reduce to medium heat and add the grated cauliflower and fry until it is tender and crisping.
- Sprinkle with salt as desired. It will take about 6-8 minutes of cooking time.
- Use as a base in place of rice or as a side vegetable in place of potato.