- 6 Handfuls of appropriate vegetables (celery, fennel, onion) chopped roughly
- 1/2 Head of garlic, broken up and sliced
- 2 Dried red chillies
- 2 kilos Fish bones, washed thoroughly and chopped
- 3.5 litres Cold water
- 8 Sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 Sprig fresh thyme
- In a large pot, sauté the vegetables, garlic, chilli, and fish bones until the vegetables are tender.
- Then add the water and bring to the boil.
- Add the fresh herbs and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim regularly.
- Once finished strain the liquid, throw away the vegetables, and store the stock in the fridge. Can be left there for a few days or stored in the freezer for a couple of months.
Ask the butcher for meat/bones for a stock. Thigh bones are best cut longitudinally by the butcher to help release the marrow easily. Beef stock can be simmered for 12 up to 72 hours and prepared as for the chicken stock above.